The first date means putting the best version of yourself out there. This is all good and well, but remember to also stay honest. There might be some old-fashioned rules about dating and keeping proper. We have some less restrictive and outdated rules.
1. Be on time – It’s not nice to keep your date waiting. If you are running late, let the other person know.
2. No phone zone – When on your date, put away your phone. Pay attention to your date and don’t make them feel that someone or something else is more important.
3. Embrace the awkward – Going on a first date will always bring some awkwardness. Admit that it is part of the process of getting to know each other.
4. Clarify expectations – Be honest about what you expect from dating. Share what you expect and what you want from the future.
5. Don’t be too judgmental – If you meet your date for the first time and he or she is wearing something weird or have some sort of physical attribute that you wonder about, don’t judge too harshly. Keep to your standards, but don’t be rude or cruel.
6. Eye contact – If you like the other person, make eye contact. It shows interest. You want your date to know that you are interested.
7. Listen – Even if the current topic is not interesting to you, listen to what the other person is saying. Listen and respond.
8. Questions – Asking questions keeps the conversation going. It is also a good way to get to know the other person.
9. Open-mindedness – Stay open minded, but have your limits. When the other person is proposing things that you are uncomfortable with, say no. If things get weird, tell them so. It is good to have an open mind, but keep yourself safe.
10. The ex – Don’t talk about your ex too much. You can say you were in a relationship and why it ended, but don’t keep coming back to it.
These are a few rules to follow to help you with your first date. Follow these and your instincts and you should be fine. Your instincts are always right.